Wednesday 21 December 2011

Old film fashions: An affair to remember



"A couple falls in love and agrees to meet in six months at the Empire State Building - but will it happen?" IMDB.

affair-to-remember-title-screen-small
Source: www.annyas.com

An affair to remember, a tragic love story starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. I can’t believe I hadn’t seen this film up until a couple of years ago. I watched it again recently after buying it on dvd. It never fails to make me cry.

So since I love watching old films and looking at the different fashions. I have decided to do a feature on my favourite outfits from this film and find the modern alternatives. Here it goes:

Screen Shot 2011-12-19 at 20.54.24
Source: www.swotti.com

grant_and_kerr
Source:www.tvtropes.org

I love Kerr's evening wear in this film. Lots of gorgeous drapery, ball gowns, diamonds and fur stoles. Shame I don't really have a need for this type of clothing. Le sigh.

deborah kerr evening wear



Screen Shot 2011-12-19 at 20.53.34

Her coat looks so warm. It would have to be if you were dancing with Cary Grant out on the deck of a boat!

Topshop Tweed Coat

This Topshop coat has the essence of Kerr's coat, only with a nipped in waist and a bow at the neck which makes it perfect in my eyes!

Screen Shot 2011-12-21 at 20.29.45

The closest I could find to a peal bracelet but I think these are pretty cool.

affairtoremember
Source: www.slantmagazine.com

I think this is my favourite outfit in the film. Just so cute and pretty - ideal for the setting. 

deborah kerr daywear
Blue shirt: Miss Selfridge, Sold out - was featured in Look magazine

Just a modern twist on old classics. Should I do another? What film should I do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment