Tuesday 10 February 2015

Nailed it!

Now I'm no stranger to disaster, particularly in the kitchen. I've improved greatly over the last two years moving from jars of sauce to cooking from scratch but it's not without the occasional fail here and there. Part of having a blog is showing the best bits of your life so it's not every day you see the disasters. So what am I going to do today? I'm going to show you my "Nailed it" moments.

The time I tried to make Slimming World ice cream


DSC00593
You needed an ice pick to eat it.


My first attempt making pancakes


IMG_0839
Still delicious though not instagram worthy in the slightest.

The time I incinerated the roof of my gingerbread house.

IMG_0525
And to be honest it was a miracle it got to that stage with the state of the "bird feed" like gingerbread. Yes that is supposed to be gingerbread. 

IMG_0508

I figure I'm just not allowed to make desserts. When making Topher's birthday cake one year, I tipped it upside down to get it out of the pan and it fell into a heap onto the plate. 

IMG_2502

Luckily I managed to style it out...

IMG_2503
That time I forgot to defrost the chicken...


IMG_4591  

And the just plain clumsy.

Sugar:
IMG_1803


Pasta
IMG_1768 
IMG_1767


That was achieved by dumping the bag of pasta on the electric hob, melting the bottom and releasing the pasta when I picked it up.

Not to mention countless other failures not documented - including the worst and only cheesecake I've ever made. The thing is, it's all about trial and error. You're rarely going to get it right the first time in the kitchen. Things do go right once in a while and they will only get better and better the more you practise. Just a week after the gingerbread house shenanigan, I managed to successfully make gingerbread cookies. So proud!

So what are your nailed it moments? Or are you a Nigella in the kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment